Conditional Release Orders Explained

Posted 05-03-2021
Written by admin 101
Category Criminal Law

Conditional Release Orders have replaced the old system of Good Behaviour Bonds for some criminal offences. The RMB Criminal Division explains what is involved.

Being charged with an offence of any description can be a very stressful time. However, if you know what to expect and know your options your court experience can be a little easier to cope with.

A Conditional Release Order is the current form of what was known, up and until 2018, as a Good Behaviour Bond. This Order is one that can be made with or without recording a conviction.

A Conditional Release Order can be made with numerous conditions. However it must include that:

  • You do not commit any further offence; and
  • You must attend court if called upon to do so.

Normally, you will only need to attend court if you breach the order. The order may also ask you to:

  • Participate in rehabilitation programs or receive specific treatment;
  • Abstain from alcohol, drugs or both;
  • Not associate with certain people;
  • Not visit certain places;
  • Be supervised by community corrections officers or juvenile justice officers.

These orders cannot include:

  •    A fine;
  • Home detention;
  • Electronic monitoring;
  • A curfew; or
  • Community service work.

If the court wishes to impose any of these conditions you cannot receive a Community Release Order. These orders can additionally be made for varied lengths of time, but may be a maximum of two years in duration.

If you breach a Community Release Order, the court may decide to do nothing, change the conditions or the order or replace the order with an alternative sentence for the original offence.

With this in mind, it is important to understand that a specialist lawyer who is experienced in criminal law and traffic offences will be able to assist you to gather materials and make submissions on your behalf to the court to ensure that you get the most lenient result possible.

RMB has a very experienced team of criminal and traffic lawyers who can assist you in getting a positive result in court and if possible, avoiding a conviction. If you receive a court attendance notice, your first step should be to contact our office to arrange a free consultation. You can contact us by by phone or our 'Ask a Question' tool on our website.