Children's Issues

Children's matters are dealt with through the Family Court, the Federal Circuit Court or the Local Court.

These Courts cover issues relating to child custody, residence of children and ongoing financial support of children.

When making an application for children's matters it does not matter whether the parents are married, de facto, same sex couples or adoptive parents.

When an application for parenting orders is filed with either the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court, both parties are required to undertake "pre-action procedures" including participating in Family Dispute Resolution. A Court will require a certificate from an Accredited Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner before an application for parenting orders can be filed with the Court. This certificate is known as a Section 60i Certificate.

The above mentioned "pre-action procedures" may not be required in circumstances where there is family violence, child abuse or urgency.