Victims of Assault

If you have been a victim of assault in a night club, pub or other venue then you may be able to bring a claim for compensation against the security company, the venue and/or the offender for your injuries.

If you are a patron of a venue, the venue has a duty to take reasonable care of your safety. If you have been a victim of an assault it is important to obtain advice about:

  1. whether you can claim damages against the offender, personally; and
  2. whether you can claim damages from another company or organisation.

In certain circumstances, the law may allow for fault to be attributed to another party who was not the actual offender. For instance, a hotel may be liable for the conduct of their security staff, or even for the conduct of the offender (in special circumstances).

This is also the case if you have been a victim of an assault by an employee of a company or organisation such as a school, church, boarding house, aged care provider or disability services provider.

In addition to these remedies, you may also be able to claim compensation through your state's victims of crime compensation scheme.

RMB Lawyers are experienced in pursuing these types of claims. If you wish to discuss your potential claim on an obligation free basis, please email us via this website or contact our office on (02) 4228 8288 to speak to one of our specialist compensation lawyers.