Criminal Compensation

Compensation for Victims of Crime

If you have been a victim of a crime, such as:

  1. An assault;
  2. Sexual Assault; or
  3. Domestic violence

You may have several avenues to claim compensation for your injuries. If you have been a victim of crime you will be able to make a claim for victims compensation through Victims Services.  Details of how to make that claim are set out below. Unfortunately, due to changes in the law, solicitors are generally no longer involved in claims for victim's compensation. Victims Services no longer provide funding to solicitors to act. The legal costs involved in the completion of a victim's compensation claim are often just as much, if not more, than the victim is awarded.

Victims Services have tried to make the process user friendly. A lot of useful information can be found on their website, where you can also lodge an Application for lump sum compensation. Victims Services will guide you through the process. Making an application will consist of completing an application form, obtaining evidence (e.g. medical records, police report, hospitals records etc) and waiting for Victims Services to reach a decision in relation to your claim.

However, this may not be your only option to claim for compensation for your injuries.

You may also be entitled to claim compensation from the offender, personally. Generally, this is only a viable option if the offender has assets. If the offender does have assets it is advisable for you to speak to us further.

In addition, if you are a victim of a crime which has occurred in a public place, such as a pub or a nightclub, you may be entitled to claim compensation from the venue.

If you have been a victim of child abuse or sexual abuse whilst under the care of an organisation or person, such as:

  1. a person in a position of trust, such as a doctor, psychologist or care worker;
  2. the Department of Community Services, New South Wales;
  3. a religious organisation;
  4. a student of a public or private school,

You may be entitled to bring a claim for compensation for your injuries.

At RMB Lawyers, we understand how difficult it is for Victims of Crime to call us or step into our offices. We are experienced in these matters and always act with kindness and compassion.

If you are a victim of a crime and wish to discuss your claim on an obligation free basis, please email us via this website or contact our office on (02) 4228 8288 to speak to one of our specialist compensation lawyers. Further general information with respect to these claims is set out below.

Limitation Periods

It is of upmost importance to note that there are limitation/expiry dates for making a claim for victim's compensation.

If the Application is made through Victims Services, there is a 2 year limitation period from the date of the act of crime, or for children, within two years of turning 18.

Victims of sexual assault and domestic violence can claim up to 10 years from the offence.

No time limit applies to victims of sexual assault that were under 18 at the time of the incident.

If the Offender has assets and you wish to pursue the Offender personally for damages, there is a 3 year limitation period from the date of the act of the offence.

Victims Services contact details are as follows:-

Victims Access Line: 1800 633 063

Aboriginal Contact Line: 1800 019 123


If you wish to pursue a claim against an Offender personally, please contact RMB Lawyers on 1800 681 211  to talk to one of our team members.  

(information from as at 1 December 2016)